Instagram went through many changes in 2018, the biggest ones being the rising popularity of Instagram Stories, which launched in 2016, and the massive changes to the Instagram algorithm. However, Instagram wouldn’t be Instagram if it wouldn’t be continuously changing and developing. That’s why we’ve made a list of five predictions for the trends that will be coming to Instagram in 2019:
1. Story Stickers: One of the trends which we expect to keep on growing in 2019 is the Stickers for Instagram Stories. These stickers are an easy and fun way for followers to engage with your page, content or even products! The new “Countdown” sticker has been a massive success at the end of 2018. We expect the advertising market for Instagram Stories to explode in 2019 and that the Story feature of Instagram will grow exponentially.
2. Micro influencers: 2018 was already a good year for micro influencers and we expect this to grow even further. Brands and influencers are starting to see that the amount of followers doesn’t resonate on the amount of engagement. This means that smaller influencers and smaller companies have a higher engagement rate than bigger instagram accounts. This year we expect smaller profiles to take the stage, from micro- (less than 100,000 followers) to nano- (pages with as little as 1000 followers!) influencers to take center stage. These are less expensive for companies and more authentic, which makes advertised content feel more like trusted advice from a friend instead of obvious sponsored content.
3. ROI (Return on Investment): considering the fact that the original Instagram creators Kevin Systrom and Mike Krieger left the company last year, we can be expecting many changes in 2019. Facebook’s VP of Product, Adam Mosseri, is becoming the new Head of Instagram and he has his priorities straight: he is going to focus on the ability to track revenue back to individual Instagram posts and stories in order to see what content generated the most sales. ROI tracking on Instagram will be a huge development in social media marketing in 2019.
4. Authenticity: With the amount of sponsored posts and instagram ads growing exponentially, followers have turned around and are now starting to look for posts that seem more authentic. Meaning that the more authentic the influencer, the more engagement and support they will most probably receive from their followers. This also means that the relationships between brands and influencers are expected to change: instead of sporadic campaign posts around f.e. product launches, brands will be looking to build more permanent relationships with influencers and look to work with influencers who genuinely love their brand in order to create more truthful brand ambassadors.
5. DM: Instagram improved their direct messaging feature in 2018. This features’ popularity, with the added gifs options, has continued to rise and is expected to continue its rising to the point where the feature might get its own app named “Direct”, just like what happened with the messenger feature on Facebook. It has already debuted in the United Kingdom and we are expecting it to take over the world soon.
These are only a few of the changes we can be expecting from Instagram in 2019. The company has managed to surprise us many times in the past and we cannot wait to see what they have in stock for us this year! What kind of changes do you hope for?